Emma Watson has been Hollywood’s sweetheart ever since she first appear on the big screen as Harry Potter’s brainy friend Hermione Granger. For over a decade, Emma has proven herself to be a competent actress and media darling. Throughout her time in the public eye, she has never showed an affinity for fame and attention, which is refreshing considering how fascinated we are by her. Emma comes across as grounded and complex in interviews and has chosen incredibly diverse roles — which include most recently playing Nikki in Sofia Coppola’s The Bling Ring.
Here are 15 quotes from her that made me fall even more in love with her.
1. I don’t have perfect teeth, I’m not stick thin. I want to be the person who feels great in her body and can say that she loves it and doesn’t want to change anything.
2. I like men with quick wit, good conversation and a great sense of humour. I love banter. I want a man to like me for me – I want him to be authentic.
3. I’ve probably earned the right to screw up a few times. I don’t want the fear of failure to stop me from doing what I really care about.
4. I don’t want other people to decide who I am. I want to decide that for myself.
5. I’m a feminist, but I think that romance has been taken away a bit for my generation. I think what people connect with in novels is this idea of an overpowering, encompassing love — and it being more important and special than anything and everything else.
6. When I started dating I had this kind of Romeo and Juliet, fateful romantic idea about love which was almost that you were a victim and there was a lot of pain involved and that was how it should be.
7. It was unbelievable seeing me as an action figure! In a few months, toddlers all around the country will be biting my head off!
8. I could be 100 years old and in my rocker, but i’ll still be very proud that I was part of the Harry Potter films.
9. The saddest thing for a girl to do is to dumb herself down for a guy.
10. Don’t feel stupid if you don’t like what everyone else pretends to love.
11. I like books that aren’t just lovely but that have memories in themselves. Just like playing a song, picking up a book again that has memories can take you back to another place or another time.
12. Funnily enough, In the first Harry Potter film, you can see me mouthing Harry and Ron’s lines as well because that’s just how I was. I was crazy.
13. Becoming yourself is really hard and confusing, and it’s a process. It’s often not cool to be the person who puts themselves out there.
14. On the differences between American and British slang: “The most embarrassing one is that I had no idea — and please excuse me — that you guys call a condom a rubber. My version of a rubber is an eraser. I’ve done that — very loudly asked for a rubber and people have given me strange looks. That was embarrassing!”
15. You can’t go to the pharmacy without someone saying, “Hey, you’re the girl from Harry Potter!” and I’m like “Yeah! Just buying tampons, see you in a bit!’”
TC readers, why do you love Emma Watson? Which quotes make you fall for her even harder? Sound off in the comment section.