Perhaps you’re the girl whose been chasing a boy for months to find that he’s head over heels with someone he’s been chasing since years. Perhaps you’re the guy who met the girl of your dreams, but you just can’t seem to convince her that she’s your soul mate.
Perhaps you’re the girl who woefully watched your man fall for someone else and can’t understand why. Perhaps you’re the guy who never falls in love, until you met her. Perhaps you’ve finally met a Manic pixie dream girl. Perhaps you are a manic pixie dream girl yourself, and don’t even know it yet.
The ‘Manic Pixie Dreamgirl’ term was coined by film critic, Nathan Rabin based on Kirsten Dunst’s character in ‘Elizabethtown’. We have seen the rise of this elusive creature in films like ‘500 Days of Summer’ with the childlike Zooey Deschanel, sweet Natalie Portman in ‘Garden state’, unpredictable Kate Winslet in ‘Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind’ and such others.
Today the manic pixie dream girl has evolved to encompass various types of girls with starkly different personalities, who all share the common characteristic of being unabashedly themselves.
Here are some signs of the manic pixie dream girl, and why they’re the biggest heartbreakers around.
1. They are unashamedly feminine and girlish. They remind men of first love high-school crushes that they never really got over. Manic Pixie Dream girls have child-like mannerisms that suit their bright and colorful personalities. They have mastered the art of being charmingly idealistic and cutely adorable, without sounding stupid and seeming naïve.
2. They live in a fantasy world. They have a childlike innocence about them, and seem like they have the answer to an eternity of ecstatic happiness. It reminds men of their care-free, childhood days of dreaming. Men feel like they can truly be themselves with such a girl.
3. They are like paradoxes. They are charmingly pleasing, but also obsessed with their own freedom. They are externally beautiful and internally cold as ice. Being so freedom-loving poses a challenge to men who are used to women chasing after them for commitment. Dream girls have many interests and don’t get attached easily, causing men to feel out of control and fall head over heels.
4. They are complex. Such women are both darkly deep and lightly breezy, reflecting both dualities of the extremes of human nature.
5. They are elusive. Who doesn’t love a good mystery, especially when it’s wrapped in all things sugar and spice?
6. They are the perfect archetypal anima to the animus. Societal conditioning forces men to suppress their emotional sides. The manic pixie dream girl gives them the chance to live out the shadow side of their natures.
7. They are original and authentic thinkers. Manic pixie dream girls are like a breath of fresh air with their non-conformist attitudes. They rebel against and refuse any attempts to fence them in.
8. They are creative. Such women are usually artistic or possess some quirky talents that make them unique and distinctively individualistic.
9. They are adventurous. They are called manic for a reason. They embrace spontaneity and reject the monotony of daily life.
10. They need space like air, and often perform sudden disappearing acts to go to their own thing in their own man caves.
11. They’re strangely and unapologetically weird. They embrace their own idiosyncrasies and are non-judgemental of other’s flaws such that men feel comfortable to let loose their goofy sides.
12. They’re probably not real. They use their fantasy landscape as a coping mechanism. Men often idealize them and put them on a pedestal without realizing that they are flawed humans too.
13. Heartbreakers. They are probably the biggest heartbreakers around.