1. “You will end up alone.”
Heard this today.
2. “I wish you hadn’t failed.”
In regard to a failed suicide attempt.
3. “If I was your best friend I would have killed myself, too.”
A psychotic ex-friend said this to me once.
4. “I hope they never find your dad and I hope he’s dead.”
7-year-old boy at my school to 7-year-old me when my father had been missing for a month. They did find him a few weeks later. And he was dead.
5. “My life would be so much better if you were never born.”
Mom said this.
6. “You will end up alone.”
Heard this today.
7. “Why couldn’t it have been you that died?”
When I was 11, my mom had a miscarriage and told me this.
8. “I wish you would die, I would cry tears of happiness!”
My dear mother, to 14-year-old me. She said some real hurtful shit to me before and after, but that line broke me inside out…
9. “You are my biggest disappointment in life.”
10. “At least you know you’re ugly and accept it.”
Stung quite a bit at the time.
11. “I almost aborted you….but then I got drunk one night and decided, ‘what the hell.’”
My mother to me at 9 years old. I think about that sentence all the time.
12. “The world would be a better place without you.”
And people wondered why I tried to commit suicide three days later.
13. “No wonder your father left you.”
My neighbor once said to six-year-old me. (My parents divorced when I was 4.) This was in response to me rollerblading up and down a shared garden path…
14. “I don’t love you, I’ll never love you and I see no future with you.”
My long-term boyfriend broke up with me by saying that.
15. “I never wanted a second kid.”
Said by my dad to 16-year-old me, the younger of two kids. That killed any affection and respect that I had left for him. 15 years later, none of it has returned and I have nothing but spite for him.
16. “If you only looked different but still said the things you say to me I would probably date you.”
This girl I really like told me that.
17. “I am disappointed in you.”
Said very calmly is CRUSHING.
18. “You’re too fucked up for me to be with you anymore.”
Not that they were wrong, but it still fucking hurt.
19. “The only reason I didn’t put you in foster care is because the social worker said I wasn’t allowed to.”
20. “I don’t believe any of that stuff your mother-in-law says about you.”
This sentence could end a marriage and ruin a family very easily.
21. “I don’t think you got raped, I think you really wanted it.”
My ex-husband once when we were fighting said something along the lines of this. I was anally raped at a party a few months before and still having PTSD from it at the time. it destroyed me then.
22. “I’m going to have to learn how to stop loving you.”
Gee, thanks, Mom.
23. “You have no future.”
From the right person it cuts deep.
24. “I’m not mad, I’m disappointed.”
Your parents telling you this leaves any kid absolutely crushed.
25. “Don’t worry you have a shot, she goes for personality!”
Said to me by a female friend genuinely encouraging me to ask out one of her friends.
26. “You can’t even do one thing to make me happy.”
Happened during a bit of a emotionally tumultuous time with mom (college applications and stuff). I never felt so shattered.
27. “I don’t love you anymore.”
That one definitely took me down for a long time.
28. “Nobody actually liked you. We just invited you to come along because you seemed like you were having fun.”
Said to me by a guy in my high school friend group about a year after we graduated. Joke’s on him, since I’m still close with several of those people and on good terms with most others, while most of them don’t want anything to do with him anymore.
29. “I can’t marry you. I’m leaving with What’s-his-name.”
That one just about literally killed me. Tried to hang myself 6 months later.
30. “You deserve to lose everyone.”
An aunt said that to me and I still think about it.