60 Jobs I Can Do While Wearing Jorts
This wasn’t supposed to happen. I wasn’t looking for love. But that’s when it hits you. Love is the friend you overlook, until one day something changes — and then everything is magic. That’s how it is with my jean shorts.
I didn’t think I would fall for these jean shorts the way that I have, which is hard. I just really care about them and not because of the way they look. You don’t need to see my jean shorts, so don’t ask, okay? This is a conceptual, relentless, to-the-core kind of love. This love is a contact lens; I need it every day of the week.
I want to stress that how they look is not important, at all. I mean don’t worry about it; they are doing fine. However, you wouldn’t be able to see why I love them merely by using your eyes. They look like any pair, like every pair.
Like all the best movies, they are not too short (Tobias Fünke), nor too long (90s Sk8r boys). Like all the best American flags, they are not too faded nor too ripped. Like all the best Canadian tuxedos, they are made from denim. These shorts are a real pair of actual shorts, but also, in a way, they represent every pair of denim shorts that anyone’s ever loved, or will love.
The thing that makes this pair so special to me is the way they feel. The comfort they provide to my leg area is nothing short of transformative — likely because they underwent their own transformation. They were something old, a pair of my jeans that I never wore. Then they became something new and wonderful that I don’t want to remove from my body. As a queer woman, I can confidently say that these shorts are literally the greatest achievement that’s ever been produced from scissoring.
This is the closest I will ever get to being a surgeon. I cut up something that wasn’t working and made it a million times better. You know the old saying? “Stop! It’s the motherf-cking remix!” Well, Lil’ Jon was talking about these jean shorts.
Don’t worry my head is not in the clouds. I am planning for the future, with my jean shorts. In fact, I am now beginning a list of career-choices. I need jobs and/or activities in which I can exclusively wear jean shorts — things that are not illegal or gross. Some of them are things I have seen people doing wearing jean shorts, some of them are things I feel I in particular could do well in jean shorts, and some of them I have never actually seen anyone do, therefore there’s really no wardrobe precedent that I’m obliged to follow. Feel free to contribute.
The Short List
- News Anchor
- Telethon phone answerer
- Really, anything with a desk
- Roller-skating waitress
- Marathoner from the 1960s
- Fix-it person
- Hop Scotch referee
- Town Crier
- Rib shack bartender
- Internet maker (I’m not sure if that’s hyphenated, so I’m just going to leave it like that)
- Door-to-door jean shorts salesman
- Construction worker from the Village People
- Craft village employee
- Associate Dean (Using the standards set by NBC’s Community)
- Doll repair
- Head fashionista
- Production assistant
- Recycling center night watchman
- Deep-stretching trainer
- Coin-collector aficionado (I will memorize all the greatest coin-collectors)
- Vegan baker
- Drive-in movie concession stand cashier
- Long hauler
- Mustache whisperer
- Dogcatcher (I know this is an elected office, but still)
- Something with smoothies
- Manual shrub trimming (You need pants to safely run most other landscaping equipment)
- Stand-in for a pool boy character on a movie set
- Whale psychiatrist
- Candy person
- All-Purpose Attendant
- Outdoor card shark
- Party promoter
- Professional high-fiver
- Grape-feeder for a Pharaoh (or just anyone who wants to look hot by being fed grapes)
- Van driver
- Barnacle scraper
- Shakespeare in the Park ticket line place-holder
- Low-impact gardener
- SAT tutor
- Toilet tester
- Assistant herder (Herding personal assistants or assisting a shepherd’s dog, whichever has the best 401k)
- Ice cream truck driver
- Remote control finder
- Donald Faison’s Liaison
- Rock band namer
- Paralegal (At a really, really cool firm)
- Theme party cater waiter
- 1920s farmhand
- 1980s exercise class instructor
- Eraser clapper (This would be hell on my chalk dust allergy, but sacrifices must be made)
- Freelance accountant
- Soda jerk
- Tungsten trader
- Cutting out magazine pictures for design stores to use in photo frames, or for the Teenage Girl Collage Market
A | A | A
You break it to them as softly as can. They immediately beg you to stay.
As much as I appreciate someone telling me to keep my chin up when going through a hard time, I’m fairly certain I’d rather them let me punch dance out my rage in their backyard.
At their biological core, men are ruled by sexuality. They identify potential mates using their eyes first, while women take a more complicated approach.
You probably thought I was going to recommend Orange Is The New Black but I’m not.