1. Fall asleep thinking about all of the things that you’re grateful for.
2. Ask for help when you need it and don’t feel embarrassed.
3. Tell someone when they’ve hurt you. It doesn’t need to be an attack or a dramatic showdown. But you deserve to let someone know when they’ve caused you pain.
4. Stop feeling like you need to belittle yourself when someone gives you a compliment. Just say “thank you” and let yourself enjoy it.
5. Be around people who make you laugh so hard that you cry.
6. Listen to music that gives you goosebumps.
7. Put energy into the friendships with people who give you as much as you give them. It doesn’t have to be a measuring contest, but the types of friendships you deserve are the ones in which they’re willing to make as much of an effort as you, instead of energy-sucking relationships that are only one-sided.
8. Forgive others, even when they haven’t apologized. It will do your heart so much more good to just let go and move on.
9. Don’t feel guilty for taking little mini-breaks throughout the work day. Even if it’s as small as walking into the kitchen to get a glass of water, your brain (and your eyes) deserve a couple seconds of solace from your computer screen.
10. Let yourself write. Write out your fears, write out your dreams, write out your frustrations, write out your insecurities, write out your happiness. Write something random, write something stupid, write something that doesn’t make any sense. Write without rules.
11. Walk away from relationships where you’re made to feel like you’re not good enough, like you need to change, or like you’re the second choice.
12. Read books that are so good that you miss them before they’re even over.
13. Give yourself the kind of sleep you deserve. That means more than five or six hours.
14. Do nice things for people you care about. It will make you incredibly happy.
15. Do nice things for people you don’t even know. It will also make you incredibly happy, sometimes even more so.
16. Say “thank you” even for the tiniest of things or favors or actions. It will remind you to be continuously grateful.
17. Be unapologetically who you are and never ask for anyone’s permission.