Things I Learned From Having A Step Dad
By Kat George
I have a dad and a step dad, but I guess in a sense they’re both my dad, which is sort of awkward, in its way. My step dad came into my life when I was a child, and I was lucky I got a good one. Here are some things I’ve learned in the 20-odd years he’s been in my life.
- Life changes that take you by surprise are terrible when you’re happy with the status quo
- Resenting someone who wants your approval only makes them be nicer to you
- Sharing mum is no fun
- Being a resentful, shitty child at a wedding will not, in fact, make that wedding stop
- Using birthday wishes to will your parents back together is futile and, in turn, a complete waste of birthday wishes
- Getting two new little brothers really makes for complicated birthday wishing, considering you want to keep them
- Persistence kindness toward me will wear me down
- I can also be worn down by being taught to ride bikes, swim, and do math
- Mum being happy makes me happy
- My biological father is not perfect
- No one is perfect
- Family is more than just a sperm and an egg
- Having two dads is better than having no dads
- Dads will normally side with you over mum, so now you have two allies when you’re asking to go to that party on Saturday night
- Being called ‘daughter’ consistently and in the company of strangers by someone you have not been particularly pleasant towards makes even the toughest disposition sweat with guilt
- Being loved by someone who doesn’t have to love you is sincerely humbling
- It’s very nice to have two wonderful men who love you unconditionally and unequivocally
- Accidentally calling step dad “dad” in front of biological dad is awkward
- Accidentally calling biological dad by step dad’s name is doubly awkward
- All dads, whether they’re yours by blood or marriage, are going to annoy you with the same moronic jokes
- All dads in turn think these jokes are funny
- Trying to figure out who is going to walk you down the aisle when you get married can be very consuming, even though you don’t have a boyfriend
- You can be overly demanding of men, but it’s only because you’ve been so blessed by the men who have raised you.
Tagged Father & Son, Just Add Water And Viola! Instant Family!, Lame Dad Jokes Are Unfortunately Universal, Life, Papa Don't Preach, Step Dads Are Just Like Actual Dads Except You're Not Related To Them, Uncategorized
She might be covered in flour, but there’s always a smile on her face.
1. When your car breaks down and they have to come help you change your tire or wait with you until the two truck comes.
Even if you’ve never experienced something this severe, this PSA will make you understand what it feels like.
61% Of Those Making Minimum Wage Are Millennials Living In Poverty: Here’s The One Thing That Would Get Them Out
This would raise the wages of 16.5 million people just like you.