Things I Learned From Having A Step Dad
By Kat George
I have a dad and a step dad, but I guess in a sense they’re both my dad, which is sort of awkward, in its way. My step dad came into my life when I was a child, and I was lucky I got a good one. Here are some things I’ve learned in the 20-odd years he’s been in my life.
- Life changes that take you by surprise are terrible when you’re happy with the status quo
- Resenting someone who wants your approval only makes them be nicer to you
- Sharing mum is no fun
- Being a resentful, shitty child at a wedding will not, in fact, make that wedding stop
- Using birthday wishes to will your parents back together is futile and, in turn, a complete waste of birthday wishes
- Getting two new little brothers really makes for complicated birthday wishing, considering you want to keep them
- Persistence kindness toward me will wear me down
- I can also be worn down by being taught to ride bikes, swim, and do math
- Mum being happy makes me happy
- My biological father is not perfect
- No one is perfect
- Family is more than just a sperm and an egg
- Having two dads is better than having no dads
- Dads will normally side with you over mum, so now you have two allies when you’re asking to go to that party on Saturday night
- Being called ‘daughter’ consistently and in the company of strangers by someone you have not been particularly pleasant towards makes even the toughest disposition sweat with guilt
- Being loved by someone who doesn’t have to love you is sincerely humbling
- It’s very nice to have two wonderful men who love you unconditionally and unequivocally
- Accidentally calling step dad “dad” in front of biological dad is awkward
- Accidentally calling biological dad by step dad’s name is doubly awkward
- All dads, whether they’re yours by blood or marriage, are going to annoy you with the same moronic jokes
- All dads in turn think these jokes are funny
- Trying to figure out who is going to walk you down the aisle when you get married can be very consuming, even though you don’t have a boyfriend
- You can be overly demanding of men, but it’s only because you’ve been so blessed by the men who have raised you.
Tagged Father & Son, Just Add Water And Viola! Instant Family!, Lame Dad Jokes Are Unfortunately Universal, Life, Papa Don't Preach, Step Dads Are Just Like Actual Dads Except You're Not Related To Them, Uncategorized
Yo, don’t judge me for getting my eyebrows waxed, you uncivilized sucker!
By Michael Koh
Your best friend is the person you can confess your deepest fear to as well as your second deepest fear: that the population at large will discover the thing you fear most is accidentally hitting ‘like’ when you are a year and a half deep into your crush’s Instagram.
In an idyllic world of complete emotion control, this might be sound advice. But truth be told, I’m still trying to find out how to do that. It doesn’t matter how often I tell myself nobody has the power to make me feel a certain way, except me.
By Ari Eastman
And I got what I wanted — a dream arrangement that allowed me to live my life without compromises.
By Sanaa Aesha