Get out a pen and paper everybody! It’s almost December, which means it’s time to make that Christmas list! Here’s an idea, instead of writing a list of material objects you want for yourself, try writing a list of actions you want to do for others.
They don’t all have to be for people you know very well—although I’m sure your parents won’t mind if you clean the house or do the dishes all December long—but these actions can be for complete strangers! After all, sometimes strangers are the people who need your help the most. But regardless of who these actions are for, they can be a great way to put a smile on someone’s face this holiday season.
Christmas List 2016
1. Buy a bagel for someone in the morning.
2. Contribute to the cause stores are raising money for.
3. Go online, complete that survey, and give the sales associate who helped you pick out a gift for your Grandma a great review.
4. Smile at that classmate or co-worker who always looks upset.
5. Offer to shovel snow for the old couple down the street.
6. Pay for someone else’s order in the drive-thru.
7. Take one or two of those paper ornaments from a holiday giving tree, and buy toys for the children whose names are on the back.
8. Buy a blanket from Target or Five Below and give it to a homeless person.
9. Send hand-written Christmas cards to your aunt and uncle.
10. Volunteer at a soup kitchen.
11. Help your new neighbor string their Christmas lights.
12. Leave a nice tip for the person who gives you that fresh haircut for the holidays.
13. Invite someone you typically don’t hangout with to do something with you and your friends.
14. Treat your brother or sister to lunch.
15. Think about everything your parents do, or have done for you in the past, and thank them.
Another creative way to make this list is to think of 25 different things you could to do for people, and make it a goal to complete a different one every day until Christmas! This would certainly be a great way to kick off the New Year, but who knows, you might find that you want to continue this giving spirit all year round.