1. You revert back to old habits. You start doing things you used to do when you were younger and you become less self-sufficient. You start doing things you know you shouldn’t be doing but just do it “just because”. You think back to the past and how happy those times made you, and you don’t focus on how you could be bettering yourself right now. You just let yourself start slipping away while you’re getting caught up in the way things used to be.
2. You go through your days and feel like you’ve accomplished nothing. You almost feel like there’s no point of getting out of bed in the morning because you don’t do anything productive anyways.
3. You just do things to do them. You might not even want to go to your friend’s house but you figure it’s better than sitting on your couch bored out of your mind so you go, and you don’t have fun.
4. You live your life on autopilot. You do everything from brushing your teeth to driving on autopilot and you barely pay attention to any details. You just snooze your way through each day trying to engage as little as possible.
5. You feel like you have no real purpose. Sometimes you wonder what you’re supposed to be doing or if you could live a better life because this life right now isn’t doing it for you. You always question everything but you’re also scared to try to better yourself so you just stay where you’re at because the comfort zone is easy to live in.
6. You have nothing to look forward to. You’re not working towards anything, you’re not planning anything big and you’re not feeling challenged at work. Nothing interests you anymore and you can’t help but feel like it won’t get better than this.
7. You become lazy. You stop picking up the clothes on your floor, you let the laundry sit in the hamper for weeks and just take what you need from it, you let the dishes pile up and you always order take up. You stop caring about the environment you’re in because you stop caring about a lot of life in general.
8. You don’t necessarily feel unhappy, but you’re definitely not happy. You struggle to describe how you’re feeling to other people and yourself. You just feel like you’re stuck in a mud pit and you can’t get out so you sit there and just keep sitting there. You know you should ask for help and you know you should get out of the situation you’re in but you just keep sitting there because everything else takes work and you’re not ready to put in work.
9. Nothing excites you anymore. You can’t even remember the last exciting moment you had in your life. Everything is just kind of a blur and nothing makes you feel alive. You feel like you’re just drifting aimlessly through life.
10. Your appearance has taken a hard hit. You used to care about what you look like, now you put zero to very minimal effort into your look. You start to neglect yourself and let yourself fall apart like you feel like the rest of your life is falling apart.
11. Everything just blurs together. You can’t keep memories separated, days feel like weeks and weeks feel like months. You can’t even figure out accurate timelines of events anymore because nothing seems noteworthy.
12. You’re always tired. You have nothing to stimulate you so you just want to sleep and nap, even if you are getting enough sleep at night. You might start the morning off with motivation and drive but half way through the day you’re just ready for it to be over because you feel super unproductive and unmotivated.
Feeling like you’re in a rut sucks. It completely drains you and takes away all the joy in your life but it mostly means you’re not challenging yourself enough to do all the things you want to do so instead you just settle.
Try changing up your environment, incorporate exercise, join a club or sports team around you, go out more often and be an active part of society. Break out of your comfort zone and let the world change you because this isn’t as good as it gets – this is just what you’re letting it be.